Tuesday, March 2, 2010

For Play and For Work

Let's work for and with each other. - B.F. (March, 2010)

Day 28. What was I thinking when I committed to blogging every day for a year? Wasn't there a song line that went something like " . . . . Mama told me there'd be days like this . . . ."?

I knew that on some days blogging would be more difficult than others. I just seem to have a knack for repressing the sheer exhaustion and brain fog that awaits me on exceptionally long work days. I used to question that phrase in athletics, "She left it all on the court (field, pitch, etc.)" Come on, is it really possible to give your ALL, your utter and complete ALL, your "I'm depleted and there is absolutely nothing left of me" ALL?? Since becoming a cyclist, however, I have changed my view. There have been occasions, both on the road and the trail, when I truly could not pedal another revolution of my cranks. My brain sent the "move" message to my legs, and they just hung - limp and unresponsive. I believe the formal terminology is "bonking." It's a little frightening and a lot humbling. I haven't yet heard the phrase, "She left it all at the office" but I think it's an escalating cultural phenomenon with a pretty hefty price tag. After days like this, my psyche arrives at home limp, lifeless, and unresponsive, just like my legs after a long bike ride. It's hard to feel inspired to write.

Well -- that was an interesting paragraph of free association. (Perhaps I will, after all, open an online journal to protect my blog from personal prattle.) I had intended to blog exclusively on associations to the quote for today. A client shared that sentence in the context of her session yesterday. For some reason, it really stood out for me: "Let's work for and with each other." She was discussing a colleague with whom she shared mutual respect, caring, support, intellect, and creativity. They were imagining a workplace void of the competitive, aggressive, narcissistic, ego maniacs that inevitably inhabit the academic departments in institutions of high learning. My client shared that she and her colleague jokingly envisioned the ultimate work environment as chairing various committees on which the other was the only member. Thus, the pact, "Let's work for and with each other."

The quote is an interesting play on words. I knew that my client was not talking about working "for" another in the sense of being dominated, subordinated, directed or controlled. She was referring to working for someone as in "being FOR them." Working for their benefit, advocating for them, contributing to their well-being. I also grasped that, in my client's context, working "with" someone wasn't referencing two people who are simply employed at the same place. She meant "WITH" as in working together toward common goals, working collectively and cooperatively, in tandem, supporting one another in meaningful endeavors.

In my workplace, I am extremely fortunate to enjoy the great goodness of working for and with my partners as this client meant it. I know such an environment is a rare and precious thing. I think the Buddha encourages us to create this climate in all of our endeavors. And now, I'm headed FOR my cushion.

Gassho,
CycleBuddhaDoc

No comments:

Post a Comment