Thursday, May 6, 2010

Share the Strength

When you meditate, invite yourself to feel the self-esteem, the dignity, and strong humility of the Buddha that you are. - Sogyal Rinpoche in the Zen Calendar (September 20, 2006)

Day 93. Buddhism makes me stronger.

Our new white and red Cannondale tandem kicks ass. There is no way around it. The geometry of the frame is slightly different, but this difference makes all the difference. (Okay, so I probably wouldn't get away with that sentence in Freshman English class. Indulge me here!) Laws of physics aside, we are just one powerful machine. Our acceleration and climbing has improved exponentially during the month we've had the new bike. I am rarely needful of the latest and greatest when it comes to Big People Toys, and this bike actually cost about a third of the majority of bikes at the tandem rally. (For those of you in the know, they all ride Santanas and Co-Motions.) Nonetheless, I must admit, I am feeling a little attached.

I have emphasized before that my captain and I are not petite cyclists. Our body types are most assuredly mesomorphs (those are the athletic builds with great big muscles.) Our personality types are infinitely Alpha. Put it this way: if we were gorillas in the mist, Dian Fossey would have wanted us to mate with each other. Repeatedly. As it is, the homo sapiens comprising our team are happy we found one another. They have come to rely on us. Repeatedly.

Everyone has their own theory about why we are so strong on the tandem. Phil says it's "because we have two machines" powering it. Dennis says we're smooth and efficient; Ted says the hills surrounding our home give us a perfect training ground. My theory is more specific. I know we combine synergistically and complimentary. Physically and mentally, we blend into a mysteriously perfect whole. Everything is covered. He is steady and calm, a rhythm rider, consistent and stable. I am erratic, extreme, and fickle, which keeps us ignited, energized and alert. I am a bizarrely strong hill climber (credit to my Scottish highland genes) and he is greased lightening on the flats. When pedaling, his downstroke is more powerful; my upstroke is strongest. Together, our pedal stroke unites into a perfect circle - the most efficient way of pedaling. As captains and stokers go, we are the ideal match. Gassho to the universe for allowing our paths to cross.

The effect of the tandem on our team is startling. Everyone is getting faster. There is something incredibly grounding about the presence of the tandem. When team members need a physical rest, they drop into our draft to replenish. On days when the howling wind is innervating and demoralizing, the tandem keeps spirits up and lethargy down. When road conditions require us to drop into single file rather than our usual two lines, the tandem up front radiates a persona of fearless and perpetual leadership. If a member gets dropped, the team remains calm in the certainty that the tandem will retrieve them. This physical and emotional climate allows everyone on the team to ride their best. We become an optimal system, powering along, feeding on each others' momentum.

The psychological aura created by the tandem mimics all systems orbiting around a strong center. Well parented families, campers with good counselors, sanghas with committed teachers, well coached teams -- all combine to produce superior results. While watching my team, I have observed a vital component of these strong systems. The strength at the center is nurtured through occasional opportunities to rest. It is tempting to overly rely on the strong ones, especially when they appear to be indomitable. Our team shares the strength. Gassho to Randy, Phil, Ted, Sam, Dennis, and Mike for their willingness to care for the tandem. After pulling into a screaming headwind for endless miles, my spirit soars when one of them flies past and replaces us at the front. Sharing makes us stronger.

It may not occur to us to reciprocate when we are being led by the strongest of the strong. Alphas rarely ask for help, though it can be burdensome at the center. Every night, at the end of zazen, in the deepest of bows, I thank the Buddha at my center for making me strong. And for the reminder to always share my strength.

Gassho,
CycleBuddhaDoc

No comments:

Post a Comment