Friday, May 14, 2010

The Grand Illusion

Carry on, now Wayward Son. There will be peace when you are done. Lay your weary head to rest. Don't you cry no more. - Kansas in OKC tonight.
I want to know what love is. I want you to show me. I want to feel what love is. I know you can show me. - Foreigner in OKC tonight.
I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise. They climbed aboard their starship, and headed for the skies. Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me. - Styx in OKC tonight.

Day 101. Guess what I did this evening?

I just got back from the Zoo Ampitheater in Oklahoma City. Attended a concert with more middle-aged white people gathered in the same spot than I've seen in a long time. I'd put the average age smack at 51.7. Instead of dobbies being passed around, a woman on our row was handing out pieces of Orbitz gum. I had on my button-up Levis (circa 1981, Gassho to the forces that be that allowed me to still get them buttoned) and a thread-bare Levis jean jacket (circa 1975 . . . man, if that jacket could talk!) We had a blast.

Every band was amazing, but Foreigner wins the Rockers of the Night prize. Incredible. I had neurons in my brain firing that hadn't lit up since Civic Center concerts in the late 1970's. When they sang, "If Feels Like the First Time" the crowd went nuts. I figure it's because 80 percent of them conceived their first child to that song. Rebel me, I'm pretty sure it was Springsteen playing when the fruit of my loins was begotten.

It was such a perfect night for an outdoor concert: overcast with no rain, light wind, and never a degree over 60. I got to see my partner get his groove on, and I thought only me and the John Deere could cause that. I know I'm supposed to be tying this to Buddhism somehow, but - hell, I've written 100 consecutive blogs so I'm cutting myself some slack. I'm also typing like a maniac so I can get this posted before midnight.

Here's the tie-in: Styx sang "Grand Illusion" - if that ain't a Zen song, I don't know what is. I'll refresh your memory with some lyrics: "So if you think your life is Complete Confusion, 'cause you never made the grade. Just remember that, it's a Grand Illusion, and deep inside we're all the same. All the Same!" All the same is right: the moment when the entire ampitheater was singing the words to "Come sail away", on our feet with hands in the air, was an exquisite reminder that music is a tie that binds.

Headed to my cushion. Good night, Rockers. I have to ride my bike in eight hours. Pray for rain. I know that this EZ Rider is.

Gassho,
CycleBuddhaDoc

No comments:

Post a Comment