Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ruby and the Buddha


Quote to come - I left it at work!

Day 70. The Big Seven-Oh. I made it through typing all those sixes. Good to know my therapy dollars weren't for naught. I need to elevate myself to the cyber-capability of communicating directly with readers who post a comment. For now, Thank You and Gassho to sfauthor for the web link and suggestion for the Mudra book. I will be spending time on that web page.

I introduced Katy the ADD Border Collie and Diligent Herder Rescue Dog in a previous post. Tonight it feels timely to write about Ruby, the Buddha Rescue Dog. She is a canine bodhisattva if ever one trotted over the earth. Ruby was rescued from a shelter in western Oklahoma on the day she was scheduled to be put down. A kind soul who monitors dogs in rural shelters had been following Ruby's status, and drove to the shelter to, literally, rescue her at the final hour. We found out about her in a web posting and went to the foster home to give her a look. That was in January of 2008; she has graced our home ever since.

Immediately, it became obvious that Ruby had been profoundly abused. Every nuance of her demeanor communicated a history of trauma. She was easily startled, hypervigilant, submissive, and readily cowed. She was just over a year old when we got her, though it seemed like her spirit had been crushed over a lifetime. We set about earning her trust. It was slow going. We had so much to overcome. Her wariness was grounded in reality, and she had every reason to be distrustful and skeptical. Our unconditional love and patience went unrewarded for a long time. We remained steadfast.

I work extensively with trauma in my psychology practice, and have developed firm convictions about how to effectively work with trauma survivors. I don't stand on the opposite side of the abyss of despair and motion for them to come over and join me. Some therapists do just that. I suspect it's because they would rather not sink chest deep in the squalid muck that usually surrounds trauma work. I join my clients where they are. We move (or not!) at their pace. It's laborious work, but we wade through the muck together. The journey is usually resplendent with fits and starts. Forward momentum, landslide regression, protracted stagnation. Recovery inevitably rides on the strength of the relationship. My role is to bear compassionate witness and steadfastly abide. Forget technique. My immutable presence is the essence of healing. When safely accompanied, beings find their own way.

Ruby found her own way. Within six months (over three years in dog time) a trusting bond had been established and her true nature revealed. Ruby is wise, courageous, protective and exquisitely intuitive. Inside and outside our home, regardless of the task or the weather or the time elapsed, she is immutably present at my side. I believe she senses some brutal similarities in our pasts, and she abides by me. One night while I was sitting zazen at an hour later than usual, Ruby silently left her kennel and came to lay at my side, with her back ever so slightly resting against my thigh. Our breaths became synchronized, and she lay motionless for the duration of my meditation. Wildly and strangely, that was a night I sat upon my cushion with a heavy heart and a restless spirit. As I performed my final bow, she quietly returned to her kennel and went to sleep. I bowed deeply to Ruby as I passed her kennel on my way to bed.

The Buddha teaches that we abide by one another the way Ruby abides by me. With unconditional, wholehearted, unwavering acceptance. When thus accompanied, all beings will find their way.

Gassho,
CycleBuddhaDoc

No comments:

Post a Comment