Sunday, April 11, 2010

Radiant Red Bud

Peace . . . comes within the souls of men when they realize their relationship, their oneness with the Universe and all its powers, and when they realize that at the center of the Universe dwells the Great Spirit, and that this center is really everywhere. It is within each of us. - Black Elk in the Zen Calendar (May 12, 2009)

Day 68.

There! I broke from my formula. I didn't write anything after the day counter. Talk about creativity and flexibility! I'd like to predict that the remainder of this post will be similarly spontaneous, but I have my doubts. Incremental change -- that's my motto!

The Red Bud Classic was this weekend. It is a marvelous rite of Spring in Oklahoma City. I ran in it fourteen years in a row before completely surrendering my running career. The end overlapped with becoming a serious cyclist, which is probably why I didn't fall off the cliffs of despair the first time I didn't run. I rode a bike in the Red Bud for the first time in 2008. I missed 2009 because of my heat illness. It felt really good to be back.

The EZ Riders were fragmented across several events this weekend, so we didn't ride formally as a team. Still, we had seven members out on the course. We all managed to find one another at one point or another, offering and receiving drafts as needed. For the past several years, the weather for the bike ride had been cold, wet, rainy, or a combination thereof. It was great fun to have a lovely spring day with sunny skies and a high temperature in the low 70's. Oh yeah, and the wind was blowing hard. That's big news.

During the ride I was filled to the brim with an ongoing sense of gratitude. Gratitude for the beautiful day. For the numerous sponsors who donated time, money, and products. For the friendly and well prepared volunteers. For the police officers from three different cities who protected us at all the intersections. For the patient and unsuspecting motorists who had to wait at these same intersections while hundreds of cyclists streamed by. For the supportive home and land owners who waved and cheered as we passed. For the cooks at the delicious pancake breakfast at the finish line. Thank you, and Gassho to you all!

I didn't intend to write a blog that sounded like a speech from the Oscars. I just have such a heightened awareness of what I have come to call the "One." It's an expansive concept that arises in my heart and mind in many different contexts. During the Red Bud, I was ever mindful of the One purpose uniting all who attended, whether they were riders, volunteers, or spectators. The day was resplendent with positive energy.

There was a tremendous turnout, and vibrant variety among the cyclists. All ages, all levels of rider ability and experience, incalculable diversity in size, shape, attire, equipment and goals. What seemed to unite us all was a sense of fellowship and purpose. It felt like everyone there was invested in sharing a happy day and participating in a huge community event. People stopped to help with mechanical problems and were quick to inquire if another rider needed assistance. For such a huge number of people simultaneously on bikes at the same time, there was a surprising show of courtesy and patience. Some days really bring out the best in people!

Buddhism reminds us that, in reality, there are no boundaries separating us. If my blog allowed for goals (but there is nothing to attain!) my first hope would be that it is an ongoing reminder of belonging to the One. The Red Bud was powerful evidence of the goodness in people, and how we conduct ourselves when we transcend our differences in age, religion, political party, ability levels and premeditated agendas. I know our culture prizes competitiveness and aggression, and there must be right places for it. It just seems to me that when we check our egos at the registration table and plunge into the Collective Good, incredible things happen.

I'm going to check my ego at the edge of my cushion and do a few extra bows tonight. In gratitude for the Collective Good.

Gassho,
CycleBuddhaDoc

No comments:

Post a Comment