Sunday, April 25, 2010

Leaving Paris

Let us try to recognize the precious nature of each day. - The 14th Dalai Lama in the Zen Calendar (July 31, 2006)

Day 82. Safely home from Paris. I'm not even jet lagged.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to abstain from mild to moderate journal keeping on my blog. Although the subject of Zen, with its emphasis on the here-and-now and all that, readily lends itself to writing about the Present Day. I love irony. Especially when I get it.

Another spring day in Paris! Unlike yesterday, first morning was filled with sunshine. Quite like yesterday, the wind was howling at over 25 mph; the only difference being the maelstrom blew from the northwest rather than the southwest. Variety in turbulence is good, I suppose. We set out for a 24-mile recovery ride with our tandem buddies Mike & Sue and Jeff & Diane. Three tandem teams teeming through the freshly washed Texas countryside. We slowed the pace - partly because of the 75 miles on our legs from yesterday, mostly (my perspective!) to linger together a little longer before saying good-bye until our paths cross again. This was the first Southwest Tandem Rally for all three couples. We had toasted one another at the buffet dinner the evening before. I felt overflowing with gratitude for the gift of new friends.

I am filled with a poignant melancholy tonight as I prepare for the work week. The words "community" and "belonging" fill my mind in a large, bold font. Words are so inadequate at capturing powerful human experience. I guess that's the origin of the phrase, "You had to be there." Connection and acceptance and inclusion are best lived, not talked about. Being surrounded with others who implicitly understand me (especially me in tight Lycra cycling shorts) is immensely gratifying. Mostly it feels like love.

As I continue to sit zazen, I am aware of a subtle thinning of my interpersonal barriers. Self-consciousness is fading, and a genuine pleasure in connecting is ripening. So much of the time openness begets a reciprocal risk in the other. I wish I could infuse all sentient beings with that certainty. We have so much good to share with one another.

I am delaying the end of the precious nature of this day, but end it must. Sometimes that Truth called Impermanence is a tremendous relief. And sometimes I wish the day could go on forever.

Gassho,
CycleBuddhaDoc

No comments:

Post a Comment