Monday, June 21, 2010

Not Guilty Pleasure

"I always look at any event from a wider angle. There's always some problem, some killing, some murder or terrorist act or scandal everywhere, every day. But if you think the whole world is like that, you're wrong. Out of six billion humans, the trouble makers are just a handful." - The Dalai Lama (Time Magazine, June 14, 2010).

Day 139. When I started my morning reading the Dalai Lama quoted in Time magazine, I knew it was going to be a good day (even if the reading was taking place in my doctor's office). It's Summer Solstice - the best day of the year for us Lovers of Light!

I am completing the perfect Monday: I got off work at an unprecedented hour; scampered to the book store and bought five new books; scooped up ice cream for dinner (Neapolitan - the greatest concoction EVER!); watched two hours of worthless TV (on the Lifetime and Family channels, no less); the dinosaur booted on the very first try. And that's not the best of it - I still get to blog, sit and read. Life is beyond precious!

The Dalai Lama quote was timely for me. I was feeling mired in the muck of the quagmire I call the state of Oklahoma. This is an erroneous phenomena in which I commit one of my pet peeves: overgeneralizing a critical judgment based on insufficient and biased data. I mistake a lack of evidence to the contrary as supportive data for my preconceived conclusions. The judgment is this: the state I call home (or at least the state of my birth and locale of the majority of my life experience) is almost entirely populated by (in no particular order) conservative, fundamentalist, evangelical, provincial, incestuous, fearful, ignorant, regressed, unworldly, judgmental, stagnant Red Necks. Thanks to the Dalai Lama, I am reminded that in actuality, this demographic comprises only a handful. A really BIG hand, perhaps, but a handful nonetheless.

This is not the cross section of Oklahomans who attended the Solstice dance on Saturday night. I was struck by the atmosphere of ease, acceptance, contentment, openness, and joy engulfing me as soon as I parked my car. People of all ages, many races, the gamut of socioeconomic status, a variety of spiritual backgrounds, and several ways of being both single and coupled attended. A commitment to Mother Earth, healing, and unconditional regard for one another seemed to be the commonality. Along with a willingness to dance, shout and sweat in each others' presence.

My business partner's husband, Rocky, a brilliant and compassionate man, was asked to give a brief talk before we began the dance. He explained that the dance was about healing; about creating a space where positive energy could descend upon and surround us. Rocky emphasized that getting lost in the dancing and the energy was more important than performing perfect dance steps. Like zazen, the idea is to get out of one's mind -- to not think. We were divided into the dances of Deer, Eagle, Bear and Hummingbird - each with its own meaningful steps and rhythm. The four dances occur simultaneously and are juxtaposed one upon the other in the same arena. Each group of dancers interweaves with the other three in a stunning choreography of grace and purpose. Our dancing began at a moderate pace, accelerating as the dancers moved from thinkers to feelers to be-ers. The dance took on a life of its own. It was easy to get lost in it. I danced Eagle between Eagle warriors Sharla and Tom. It was bliss; like coming home. Damp and satiated, we then shared a meal in the golden-pink sunset.

As handfuls of demographics go, this is mine. My spirit soared; my soul was sated. I needed a reminder of these delightful inhabitants of Oklahoma. Just the other day, I was explaining a term championed by our Monday night group. It's a descriptor we affectionately refer to as a "DV." It stands for "Dry Vagina," and is used to categorize the multitude of women who congregate to criticize, ridicule, exclude, and gossip about any woman who is living a life of risk, freedom and joy. Sexist as it sounds, I coined the phrase in response to the common theme in the therapy group of members' being crushed by the judgments of other women in their workplace, church, school and community.

DV's are easy to recognize by their frown lines, upturned noses, wagging tongues, crossed arms, closed minds and constricted sphincters. It occurred to me that these hurtful women clearly aren't engaging in their own lives and happiness (including hot sex and plentiful orgasms); if they were, they would be incapable of rendering such pain to others. I have not yet had a client who didn't utterly resonate with the term (I don't mention the term to actual DV's; my hunch is that they wouldn't be receptive or find it the least bit funny). DV's are probably dry all over. This is a tragedy because vital women drip with the moisture of life: blood, sweat, tears, and other delectable juices of our bodies.

Not sure how I got from the wisdom of the Dalai Lama to delectable juices of the bodies of women. Ah, the beauty of writing. The beauty of sitting. You never know where it will take you!

Gassho,
CycleBuddhaDoc

No comments:

Post a Comment