Wednesday, July 7, 2010

It's the Little Things

Let nothing perturb you, nothing frighten you. All things pass. God does not change. Patience achieves everything. - Mother Teresa as quoted in Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin (quote added to blog on 7/10/2010).

Day 155. My quote is home by the dinosaur; I am at the work computer.

While sitting zazen, significant, articulate, meaningful insights have been swarming in my mind like the June bugs around my front porch light. Unfortunately, when the timer sounds and I make my final bow, they disappear and are rendered irretrievable. This would be frustrating; however, I am not attached to them. Although, if I'm so unattached, why do I have the urge to smack them down right here in the middle of my blog space? Attachment is a slippery beast!

While breathing slowly and deeply and sitting up exceptionally straight last night, it occurred to me that I don't have to do something as tremendous and huge as Greg Mortenson in Pakistan for it to matter. Compassionate acts come in all sizes. It seems so obvious when I see it in print, but I have to confess my deep sense of relief as the realization came to me in zazen. I had an image of masses of people sitting quietly on cushions, meditating with sincere intent. The vision was powerful and positive and a jolting reminder that my zazen practice is the essence of dwelling in the world in the manner in which I desire and aspire. Necessary but not sufficient. Sitting matters. It is a prerequisite to centering my being in the place from which meaningful contributions to the world emanate. Whew. Developing a strong sitting practice is absolutely congruent with the ideals that are becoming increasingly clear in my mind and heart. There is time. This is the way.

Sometimes it feels like I am the most un-enlightened creature to ever crouch on a cushion. I back into revelations that then seem as apparent as gravity. I am humbled and grateful to the Buddha for his compassion. Even more so for his patience.

Gassho,
CycleBuddhaDoc

No comments:

Post a Comment