Monday, November 22, 2010

The Original Hum

I do not feel like speaking after zazen. I feel the practice of zazen is enough. But if I must say something I think I would like to talk about how wonderful it is to practice zazen. Our purpose is just to keep this practice forever. This practice started from beginningless time, and it will continue into an endless future. Strictly speaking, for a human being there is no other practice than this practice. There is no other way of life than this way of life. Zen practice is the direct expression of our true nature. - Shunryu Suzuki in "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind."

Day 293. I stepped out of work late this evening, and the most magnificent full moon greeted me as I began my walk home. Breathtaking. I paused to admire and thank Her for the effervescent reminder of how stunning this galaxy to which I belong truly is. Gassho to the planets and their moons for such beauty and perfection.

I had an amazing conversation with my friend Chylene today. We were discussing the challenges of this year, and our struggle to stay centered and happy. Chylene vehemently expressed her belief that our purpose for being alive is to feel joyful. She went on to disclose that, all her life, she looked to changes in circumstance as the solution for feeling unhappy. Then she began to look at pictures of, for example, women in Africa, who were living in the midst of indescribable poverty and hardship. She noticed that many times the women were singing, or dancing, and wore the unmistakable look of joy in their faces. Chylene began to realize that experiencing joy transcends circumstances. She said, "Since the beginning of time, until the end of the world when all that survives are the cock roaches, the Original Hum of the universe is joy. . . this is and always will be the intent for us."

I looked at Chylene and marveled. First, for the wise and knowledgeable awareness that it is false to expect that a change in circumstance is the mechanism through which I will find joy. Second, for such powerful validation of my meditation practice. I told her about the precious occasions in which I disappeared within my breath, merging with it and entering what I could now label as the Original Hum - that state of perfect love that accompanies those brief seconds when mind and body fall away. I felt a powerful sense of connection with Chylene simply because we could talk about a mutual truth we had arrived upon through separate journeys. The truth that we are meant to be joyful. The truth that our joy is implicit in our being; inherent in our nature. The truth that outward circumstances neither hinder nor create our joy. It is within. It has been there all along.

Suzuki Roshi tells us that zen practice is the direct expression of our true nature. Nearly 300 days of meditation has shown me that this "practice" comes down to sitting on a cushion, maintaining a posture with sincere intent. In other words, simply being who I already am. Joy full and joy filled. Nothing complicated, although me and the Monkeys can make it the hardest thing I have ever done. I don't need to make it any more than it already is: expressing my essence. Returning to the Original Hum - the joyful vibration that started from beginningless time, and continues into an endless future.

Gassho,
CycleBuddhaDoc

No comments:

Post a Comment